degrees, academic

The official names of degrees are always capitalized, whether they follow a name or stand alone: Susan Tedesco, Master of Social Work; Vincent Padillo received a PhD.

Degrees are referred to as a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, an associate degree or a doctorate.

Avoid the redundancy of combining the word degree with a degree name. He received an associate degree in digital technology; not He received an MBA degree.

The plural and singular form of degree is the same. They have master’s degrees.

We no longer use periods with degree abbreviations: AA, BA, EdD, MA, MBA, MS, PhD, RN.

Capitalize and do not use periods in the titles of academic degrees: BS in Business Administration, MS in Management.

› Back to Editorial Guidelines
University Communications and Marketing